Billing is one of the most important aspects of any product. Almost 3 million customers see their bill at Koodo each month. Naturally, we wanted to improve Koodo's billing experience as it holds a lot of potential opportunities for both the business and customer. The existing bill is archaic at Koodo. It's over a decade old. And it costs Telus ~$7 million each year in customer calls due to its disjointed experience. Our goal was to create a simpler bill, which would reduce the number of customer calls, and create a better customer experience.
Make billing understandable.
No logical breakdown
Lacks Visual heirarchy
Uses too much Jargon
Prior to me joining the team, there was some insights already gathered from workshops and sketching sessions. We wanted to spend more time on discovery so we knew we're solving the right problems. Our next steps to making a better billing experience was more gathering insights. Starting discussions with billing-related teams, including stakeholders, customer service representatives, and customers. We wanted to understand if there were any key themes contributing to the problem. This way, we can focus on solving those major pain-points.
Take a look at the existing billing layout.
The bill can be broken down into 2 different sections. (top) Balance due, and (bottom) Your current bill.
The problem is in the bottom half of the bill. Customers can clearly see the amount they owe, but the breakdown of it's details is not clear. For example:
We asked our customers and customer representatives to tell us about their pain-points. Customers found it difficult to understand their bill, especially when it was different from their regular bill. There was no way to understand what caused the additional charges.
"Customers only care when their bill is different from normal"
The problem wasn't that customers had the wrong charges. It was the way billing was presented. Customers wanted an itemized version of the bill. They wanted to see the details. We continued gathering insights from other sources. Including VOC (Voice of the customer), Help article feedback, Mobile masters team, and more. In the end, customers were able to understand the bill better through the Print PDF bill, but not the eBill. Why? Because the PDF bill was more way descriptive about their services and charges.
Summary of customer's bill. (shown using a test account)
The PDF bill is very detailed about a customer's bill. It not only shows the summary, but the itemized details about a customer's usage, and any service changes.
These are all great insights as we can use these within the billing page to inform customers about their bill details. And customers won't have to rely on reading a paper bill anymore.
With those insights, it was time to figure out possible options for how we might want to show the bill instead.
From many different layout options, we decided to separate recurring from non-recurring charges. It's how we organized our PDF bill, so customers are already familiar with it.
The GIF above shows the transformation of the redesigned billing page. Wireframes were used to test and review with stakeholders and customers.
We user tested multiple times during different stages of the project. Early wireframe phase, and after stakeholder reviews. We wanted to see if we solved the major pain-points of the bill. We found that customers certainly preferred the new layout. Although, some customers were confused by "Partial charges". We could only use so much copy to explain the meaning of "Partial charges". Instead, we created a visual that would help break down their bill details. This visual helped customers understand their day of activation to the start of a regular billing cycle.
Walkthrough of the first iteration
Special thanks to Sonja Galletta — the most amazing Product Owner, and person I've ever worked with.